For the project „Modular Questionnaire Designs for Social Surveys: Statistical Modelling of Design Missingness“ funded by the „Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)“ and based at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES) at the University of Mannheim Prof. Dr. Annelies Blom, Dr. Christian Bruch, and Prof. Dr. Christof Wolf are looking for a
(salary group EG 13 TV-L, 65 %, initially for 2 years).
The project investigates so-called Modular Questionnaire Designs, an instrument to reduce costs and questionnaire length by randomly assigning questionnaire modules to respondents. The first aim of the project is to study different module building and allocation strategies by applying Monte Carlo simulation. The second aim is exploring the efficiency of different imputation methods in recreating a full data matrix.
The PhD-candidate is expected to
- Develop appropriate strategies to design modular questionnaires and imputation methods to compensate for designed missing values
- Implement Monte Carlo simulation study to evaluate different questionnaire building strategies and imputation methods
- Publish research results in international, peer-reviewed journals
- Support the writing and submission of follow-up funding proposals
- Very good Master degree or diploma in the area of Statistics, Data Science, Social Science or related fields with strong focus on survey methodology
- Extensive experience in handling survey data
- Strong skills in quantitative methods in social science research and statistics
- Basic knowledge in the statistic software R
- High proficiency in English
- Of advantage is experience in the following areas: imputation methods, Monte Carlo simulation studies and/or questionnaire design
The project is embedded in an international research environment with colleagues based at universities and research institutes across Europe and the US. The University of Mannheim offers an excellent infrastructure for high-quality research.
The contract is initially limited to two years, but is expected to be extended pending further funding.
As an equal opportunity employer, the University of Mannheim specifically encourages applications from women and persons with disabilities.
The application deadline is 20 January 2019. We aim to fill the position as soon as possible, preferably by 1 st March. For further information regarding the position please contact Dr. Christian Bruch (Phone: +49 (0621) 1246 – 282). Please send your application electronically to email@example.com or to: Dr. Christian Bruch, GESIS – Leibniz-Institut für Sozialwissenschaften, B2,1, 68159 Mannheim.
Please note that the transmission of an unencrypted e-mail may endanger confidentiality and prevent unauthorized access by third parties. Information on the processing of personal data according to article 13 of the GDPR is provided on our website: